Thursday 6 October 2011

All the rivers run

We awoke to another cloudy day. Breakfast was included at this motel. Ate copious amounts of rice bubbles and toast with an array of varied jams and peanut butter. Brian was excited cause it was the first cereal he had had since we left on our trip ( he didnt have rice bubbles like me tho lol) Hit the road bound for Echuca. There was a road detour to Echuca because the road had been damaged due to the flooding. As we drove, all the creeks were flowing at road level. The sun shone out through the cloud cover when we arrived. Looked around the Port Echuca awaiting the 1 15pm cruise on the Pevensey. It was used in the tv series All the Rivers Run. The paddle steamer was 100 years old this year. So, no one informed me when we bought the tickets that we would have to walk down about 50 steps to the dock ....remember 50 steps down means 50 steps UP after the cruise! Other paddle steamers left from ground level with no steps. I was so stressed at the thought of all the steps. The cruise went for 1 hour. We did a river cruise back in 2006 but the water level was much lower then. It was interesting to see the visible water levels over the years and the tree trunks exposed as the water has dropped and removed soil. The water was brown and flowing fast.at the end of the cruise I had to struggle up those steps whinging as those who know me can imagine :)) what's with all these tourist spots that they can't flatten ground ha ha!!
Bought LOTS of fudge and some Echuca Cream ( like Baileys) then drove on our way to our stop for the night at Narrandera. We crossed the Murray River and were back in NSW. On this trip we saw some heavy rains and I got some photos of truck brake lights and all the water they spit up.
We used the long drive to reminisce about the things we had seen, done and learnt. Had a lot of laughs as we recalled things like our first experience of the outback at Emmdale where the petrol bowsers were locked , the meal at White Cliffs, so many 'firsts'.
Arrived at our motel for the night and (you probably viewed this would happen) our room was on the first floor...another 17 steps - yes I counted them hahaha !!!
Had Chinese food for dinner, kind of fitting since we had that on our first night of the trip at Dubbo. Tried to go to Coles for nibble foods at 8 15 pm only to find it closed at 8 pm. Drove around and found a BP Shell Service Station and got some chips. Back in our room now. Not looking forward to tomorrow as it signals the end of our adventure. It has been a lot of fun, educational and good to have the chance for us to have time together. I've enjoyed writing the blog. It will be a good memory of our trip for us to look back on. For anyone else reading it I hope you have enjoyed the trip through my eyes even if they are through rose ( or dark hahaha) tinted glasses.

One more chapter left tomorrow ,
Love Kerry-Anne and BRIAN. xxx

PS How ironic. In the few seconds when my Optus phone had coverage I received a text from Optus. I was then unable to read it for about 4 hours until I got reception again. The irony you ask??? Well the text was about the improvements to coverage in the Optus network . I laughed so much :)). Thank goodness for Telstra- mobile phone AND broadband all the way. I will definitely be transferring when my plan with optus expires.

No comments:

Post a Comment